Comment on page
Updating Mapeo Mobile
Like most existing apps, Mapeo Mobile is in continuous development. We frequently release new versions of the application to fix technical issues or add new functionality. When you update Mapeo Mobile, you do not lose data you have collected or synchronized using a previous version.
The process to update Mapeo Mobile is very similar to the installation process and there are 3 ways to do it:
- Update from an APK file To update Mapeo Mobile on smartphones that haveno internet connection, follow the same steps as for installing the app using an installation file (
.apk), this time using a more recent installation file: Install from APK file
- Update via P2P App Updates (*Experimental) Mapeo Mobile currently includes an experimental feature that allows you to update the version of the application offline via a peer-to-peer connection over Wi-Fi. For more on how to update this way, seeUpdating Mapeo Mobile via P2P (peer-to-peer) App Updates
Mapeo uses a numerical system to name versions ( for example
v.5.4.0). The numbers are labeled as follows:
- The MAJOR number indicates a breaking change - a change in this number could be related to how the software work or a change in how you use it. The MAJOR number increases if features that were previously part of the app are now removed.
- The MINOR number increases when new features have been added to Mapeo.
- The PACTH number increases if there are small updates or fixes that don’t introduce any new behavior or features.
If the MAJOR number increases, the MINOR and PATCH numbers are reset to 0. If the MINOR number increases, the PATH number is reset to 0.
To identify which version is more recent, compare the version numbers (excluding the dots between digits). The bigger the number is, the newer the version is. For example, Mapeo v.5.4.0 is newer than Mapeo v.5.3.2, because 540 is a bigger number than 532.
Peer-to-peer (P2P) App Updates is an experimental feature that allows you to share and receive newer versions of the Mapeo app by connecting to other Mapeo devices via Wi-Fi (no internet connection required).
When updating the Mapeo app version in this way, NONE of your Mapeo data (observations, configurations, or maps) is shared between devices.