Comment on page
Synchronizing with a file
While other options allow the synchronization between smartphones and computers, synchronizing with a file is only possible between computers.
In this option, a sync file is created in Mapeo Desktop on one computer and then it is used by another computer with Mapeo to exchange data. During the synchronization, all data contained in the sync file is transferred to the computer that is syncing with it, and all data in the Mapeo database of the computer will also be transferred to the sync file. It uses the same two-way method as synchronization via Wi-Fi. To learn more about how synchronization works, see Peer-to-peer & Mapeo sync.
- If devices are near each other, this is a good sync option when you can't create a local Wi-Fi network. You can instead use aUSB drive to copy and paste the sync file between different devices. It works withno internet connection.
- If devices are not near each other, this is also a good sync option. In this case, you will either need to transport aUSB drive to the location of the second device or have access to aninternet connection.
- 1.OpenMapeo Desktop oncomputer 1, the computer on which you want to create a sync file. The generated sync file will include all the Mapeo data from that computer.
- 2.Click on Synchronize on the Mapeo modes panel
3. Click on the Create a sync file button and choose the name and location where the generated file will be saved.
There are two options for sharing a sync file:
Computer 1 (black) generates sync file and sends it via email to Computer 2 (blue). Computer 2 then syncs with the file.
- 1.Locate the generated sync file oncomputer 1.
- 2.In your email app (Gmail,Hotmail, etc.), create a new email and attach the sync file. Send it to the user of thecomputer 2, the computer with which you want to sync.
- 3.Computer 2 must receive the sync file and save it. It is important to remember where has it been saved.
Computer 1 (black) generates sync file and transfers it via USB drive to Computer 2 (blue). Computer 2 then syncs with the file.
- Connect aUSB drive tocomputer 1, where you generated the sync file.
- Locate the generated sync file oncomputer 1 and click on it using the right button of the mouse. Select Copy.
- Navigate to theUSB drive in the file system. Right-click on the location and select Paste to paste the sync file onto the drive.
- Disconnect theUSB drive and connect it to the computer you want to sync with (computer 2).
- Navigate to theUSB drive folder and locate the sync file. Right-click on the file and select Copy. Navigate to where you would like to save the sync file oncomputer 2. Right-click on the location and select Paste.
- 1.Locate the received or pasted sync file oncomputer 2, the computer you want to sync with.
- 2.OpenMapeo Desktop oncomputer 2.
- 3.Click on Synchronize in the Mapeo modes panel.
4. Click on the Sync from a file button and in the pop-up window, navigate until you find the desired sync file. Then click on it and click Open.Start synchronization
The synchronization with the file will automatically begin.
Important: Keep the Synchronize screen open on both devices until the synchronization process is complete.
When the synchronization is complete,
computer 2 and the sync file will have identical copies of the Mapeo database. To complete a 2-way synchronization between the two computers, repeat the process to copy the sync file back to
computer 1 and use it to Sync from a file.
To learn about viewing and managing synchronized data in Mapeo Desktop Observations mode, continue to: